Alright- so I haven't really written much lately. Sometimes it's because I feel there is too much to say, I am overwhelmed by all the activities, thoughts and trivialities I experience each day. But other times it is because I don't know what I would say about all these things- or if I'm really qualified to comment. The latest block for me was the simple exercise of going home for a month. Prior to going it was all I could think about- would I enjoy it? Would it be overwhelming? What sort of "reverse culture shock" would I experience? I think I can sum it up pretty easily- it was a month-long whirlwind. So many people to see after being away for so long, so much information to digest. Luckily, I don't think I had committed the mistake of expecting too much- and so my time did not fail to disappoint. I enjoyed every moment- but was still looking forward to my return to Sarajevo. I wanted to get back to a routine that wasn't so hectic- and a place where I currently have work and a purpose.
Well the return was harder than I expected. Snow blanketed a city that was still reeling from having it's gas supply cut off for several days the week before. It was the primary topic of conversation and I was more than pleased to have missed it (especially since our apartment is gas reliant). Additionally, I had been coasting at work as much as possible for the last 2 weeks I was here in December. We had just finished a series of concerts and I was feeling generally burnt out (see previous blog entry). Besides, when you haven't been home in 14 months its hard not to make it your focus when it's only 2 weeks away. And then actually being home was so- comfortable. My memories of friends and family and the other things I love had been getting just hazy enough that I hadn't anticipated how amazing it would be to just spend time with everyone. And so to come back here, and place an ocean and a continent between us all again, was not an easy thing.
I have now been back for almost a month- each time I talk to my parents they comment that it feels like its been forever. And yes, I suppose January/February is a particularly hard time to make a transition like this. Crummy weather (unless you've headed off to the southern hemisphere) and the general distance of spring makes one want to curl up and hibernate. Going out to socialize with friends and walking to get there (when you've just gotten used to driving everywhere again) seems like a major effort. Plus, you have to reestablish all your daily routines... and I happen to be someone who enjoys a good routine in a city that generally rebels against them.
But routine is returning... and once March arrives things will move more easily knowing that spring is coming. I also happen to have a second "job" now with the Mennonite Central Committee office here in Sarajevo. It is a place I really enjoy going and they've already provided me with several good projects. Sadly I can't say the same for MwB, but that's not really a surprise at this point. We will have concerts at the beginning of April, so for now this is what I will look forward to there.
BVS, OKC Abrasevic, and Mostar in October 2018
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment